Friday, June 19, 2009

Philadelphia Reflections



By far this was the most exciting day for me of the whole trip. I have been wanting to go to Philadelphia for years to see the places where the Declaration of Indpendence and Constitition were written. I absolutely loved this day. To be able to stand in Indpendence Hall in the room where our country began was amazing. There was such a feeling there and you could just feel how important the events that happened inside that room where. It was almost as if you could hear their voices and I really feel like you will always feel thier spirit inside that room. The second favorite by far was the Constitution Center. I loved the movie we were able to watch and it really made me think about the Constitution and our country. It really hit me sitting there and brought tears to my eyes. I definately have a better understanding and appreciation for our Constitition. I know that this will be brought into the classroom as I teach about the Constititon. I truely believe that every American needs to watch that video to help them gain a better appreciation for themselves. I also really enjoyed visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary War Soldier. As I went there I couldn't help but to compare it to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in D.C. It was so different. I felt like this was one of the most forgotten places in Philadelphia, yet it is so important. This tomb is really what it is all about. Men dying for our country so that we might enjoy our freedoms and the lives that we have. Inscribed on the tomb it said, "Beneath this stone rests a soldier of Washintgon's army who died to give you freedom." I think that says it all. Behind the tomb there is a statue of Washington with the inscription "Freedom Is A Light For Which Many Men Have Died in Darkness." I believe that Phildelphia captured the whole essense of this trip. The men, and women who have struggled to give us the freedom, rights, and the coutnry which we live in today. I am so thankful I was able to go on this trip. I gained so much knowledge, a better appreciation, and even more excitement about the subject which we teach. I am excited to teach my students about all that we learned and to incorporate the new materials that I was able to obtain. Thank you Larry H. Miller and Zions bank for this great opprotunity. It means more than you will ever know.

7 comments:

  1. Constitution Center was incredible. The last time I was in Philadelphia it was right after 9-11 and the liberty bell was in a shack and the security was crazy and I thought it was so unorganized. This time I understood more what transpired in the Independence Hall better and was "moved" but the sacredness of the room. Plus all the men we have studied were there at one time or another. But the Constitution Center put it all into perspective. I was starting to believe that nothing but the revolution has happened in our country and with the timeline of the performance and then the artifacts it showed the progression of defining what the Constitution is for us. I am still wearing the band Val so lovingly put on and I bought a flag today so I can post the colors on my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, had a profound experience at the Constitution Center. I sure wish I could show that production to my students. I do plan on doing more in my Constitution unit to help the kids see that "We" means them too.

    I also love Constitution Hall. It is hard to get my mind around the fact that all of the great men I have read about were actually in that room. I wish I could tap into another dimension and hear their voices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heather's comments about the sites in Philadelphia. To stand in Independence Hall and cry like a three-year-old was probably the highlight of my trip; although, how can you have just one highlight from this marvelous seminar? I have always felt a little embarrassed to tell my students that I have not been able to visit the historical sites surrounding the Revolution, but now I hope to share my deep love and appreciation for this country with them, and I have the pictures to prove it! I love that I can show our tour guide holding up a picture of the sun on the chair Washington sat on during the Constitution Convention. I will be glad to tell the story about the "rising" sun and what it felt like to stand in that room. I even have a picture of me standing there with red eyes. I loved, loved, loved visiting the site of the crossing of the Delaware, it is my favorite event to discuss with my students. I can now show them pictures of the Delaware, how wide it is, show them the picture of the tavern where Washington organized the attack, and let them see the letter that he left for the tavern keeper on the night of December 25, 1776. I can use that letter to show one way that historians verify facts and locations by using primary sources. What a great way to end the trip. Thanks to all involved with providing this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a profound experience at Independence Hall. I can not believe I was standing in the same room in which so much of our Nation's identy and our own personal identy was defined. Holding back emotions was very difficult and it gave more resolve to continue to do as much as I can as a member of the military to continue the gifts we were given. It has also giving me more resolve to be even more passionate about independence and the Constitution when I teach it in class. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible and to everyone for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting Philadelphia was a highlight of my trip. I love those awful green tablecloths even more now, and when my students watch "A More Perfect Union" I can tell them I was in that room and walked among those brave men who willingly put their lives on the line to create America and to write a constitution that has lasted over 200 years! Of course, now everyone knows how I feel about the program at the National Constitution Center, but I am not ashamed of my emotions, for it speaks loudly of how grateful I am to be a part of "We the people.." I loved going to the graveyards; those bones may lie in the ground, but while I was there, they were as alive to me as my traveling companions. I will work even harder to impart these same feelings to my students.
    Sharon N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too loved being in independence hall, and feeling the impact of history and the events that created this nation. I also love the constitutional convention program and exhibit. Coming from Ellis island to there had a great impact on me. Working with refugees I sometime wonder if up rooting them to America is a good idea, yes we perceive that they gain a lot but my students really do not want to be hear and also had to leave behind a lot and they really struggle financially. However it was good to see the convention center it really reminded me what the constitution is all about and the impact in the struggle for civil rights. I am now redoing my American Experience curriculum to focus on the constitution and civil rights not just teaching it in government.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved being in Philadelphia- it was incredible to be there witnessing many years later all that took place. I believe that in Independence Hall where we got to be in the same room as the signings occurred were a "religious" (thanks Gene) experience. I just had the chills the whole time being in that room. Also, another "religious" experience for me was the Constitution Center. I thought that the movie shown there was incredible and was very moving. How I wish that we could have a copy of that video to show our students. I also loved the Betsy Ross home - what an amazing lady she was.

    ReplyDelete