Thursday, June 18, 2009

Philadelphia Reflections

Hands down, the highlight of Philadelphia for me was the National Constitution Center. Unfortunately there is no way to effectively share the experience there with my students, but the effects of that experience on me will trickle down to my students in my teaching about the Constitution. The program, as many of you experienced as well, brought tears to my eyes. Then as I walked around the rotunda there I gathered numerous ideas and insight as to how the Constitution affects our lives today. That is what I can pass along to my students, the realization that it is more than an old crusty piece of paper. It is a lasting and living document that affects their lives and their actions, even in small town Spanish Fork, Utah.
Valley Forge also left a lasting impression on me. I had no idea how enormous the encampment really was. And I was able to find, through their database, the names of three relatives who were camped there. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment