Friday, June 19, 2009

New York Reflections




I really enjoyed being able to see more of New York. I had been there about 10 years ago, but loved being able to tour not just the city, but West Point as well. I loved seeing Ft. Putman and learning about it. I have knew about that place really, and it was so interesting to me. You could just imagine the soldiers sitting in the rock fort watching out over the Hudson for the British. I also never knew about that chain they stretched across the river before. I found that very interesting. As we toured West Point it also gave be a deeper appreciation for the military and all that they do for our country and their willingness to sacrifice thier lives for us. As we got into the city, it was fun to be there once again. I forget how NY stinks. I will not miss that aspect or the wall of people to people. I really enjoyed seeing the city but would have to say that my two favorite places would have to be the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The statue is such an awesome sight to see in person. It gives you such a great feeling you could imagine the feelings that the immigrants felt when the saw her for the first time. I have never been to Ellis Island before and was so excited to go. I loved it and learned so much there about what immigrants went through before being allowed into the U.S. I loved all of the old photographs they had everywhere. It made it seem more real to be able to see the faces of people who had gone through Ellis Island. Overall, I had a great time in NY and learned much more by being able to be there in person and experience it first hand.

6 comments:

  1. Heather is cool that she knows how to put pictures on this!! New York was great. For me Ellis Island was definitely the highlight. That is one of my favorite units to teach and I loved to see it and walk on the tile that was there when millions of people came through. If I die I want all my assets to go to help refurbish the rest of the island. It is so important to our history. The next thing is probably St. Paul's church where the shrine to 9-11 was. I also thought that with ground zero it was, in retrospect good to see that it is being built up. That we will resume as a nation being strong and not let cowardice acts like that cripple us. The fact that the citizens of the US are free and have a voice and can use our first amendments rights is what a lot of those cowards resent, because they don't understand those rights granted by our Constitution. Then really the pizza was awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that West Point was the highlight of this portion of the trip. I talk often about West Point, but my students have not had any idea of what role it played in our young country. The majority of them have never even heard of the academy. I plan to teach the history of West Point, its importance to our history, and I love the connection I can make to Robert E. Lee and the Civil War. I always teach what an amazing commander Lee was, and now I can add to the background knowledge of why he was Lincoln's first choice to lead the Union. I was not familiar with the "chain" over the Hudson history and I plan to use that information to enrich their understanding of the importance of the Hudson in achieving success in the Revolution. I then can show them the pictures of me standing by the chain and the pictures of the Hudson flowing past West Point. Hazzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. West point was great and great addition to the brought a lot of perspective on Washington and early battles still can't believe they put a chain across the river. Ellis Island was great as well, for obvious reasons concerning my students. Our history of immigration is interesting and continues still. It is amazing what many of these immigrants have endured and then coming to America in search of something better still find hardship and also opportunity. My hope is that we continue to hold onto the constitution in the future, and continue to fight for a better live for ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I could not find Emma Lazarus' poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty, visiting The Lady and Ellis Island gave me pause to reflect while so many around me did not speak English. Her words, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free..." free from poverty, war, disease, persecution and for opportunities for a better life for themselves and their families, made me appreciate even more living in America. Despite hardships, these people come and stay in search of a dream. As a teacher, I must be more diligent to make sure theirs', ours', and future generations' dreams do come true. Thank you for reminding me.
    Sharon N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved New York- I cannot believe all that i saw in one day. I definitely believe some of the highlights were Liberty and Ellis Island. I also thought that Federal Hall was very cool also- just trying to imagine all that took place where we were many years ago was an emotional connection for me. I still cannot get over how New York was just this big rocky place that people have built upon. Westpoint was incredible also. I could have spent all day there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The highlight here for me was Ellis Island. It was a humbling experience to stand in the same room that processed so many people into the United States. I also could not imagine the fear they must have felt wondering if they would be admitted or receive an X and returned to their home country. West Point was very interesting and I would like to return to spend more time in the Purple Heart Memorial and viewing West Point itself. Sherman was an enjoyable guide and very informative. I agree with Becky, it is hard to picture NY as a big rock place just as it was hard to picture so many green tree filled areas as barren, as Gene so often reminded us.

    ReplyDelete