Thursday, June 25, 2009

Life Changing

First, let me say Thanks to everyone for making the trip so much enjoyable. It was amazing to be able to see so many historical sites- including cemetaries, with other people who found them interesting. Also, as a new teacher I was able to learn so much from everyone on the trip. Thanks in advance for letting me take your ideas :) As for the trip itself, there were two places that were the religious experiences Gene kept talking about. The first was being able to visit Braintree and Peacefield. The love of the country that Adams had was unbelieveable. It was extremely humbling to be inside the houses where he lived. It makes me wonder how many people today would be willing to sacrifice as much as he did. I have so much more respect and love for our founding fathers now then I ever did before. The other place was Independence Hall in Philly. To see pictures about it and learn about it is one thing, but to be inside that room knowing what happened in there was almost magical. It definitely has its own spirit and I am so grateful that I was able to experience that. I did also love the Consitution Center. I'm going to implement the theme of "We the People" throughout my classroom/curriculum. I think as social studies teachers, not only are we teaching history- but we need to give our students an understanding that they are active citizens and that the founding fathers did what they did for each of them.

Thanks for all of the memories! ps, Where's Bob?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Roomie- Your "We the People" theme ideas are great and one I intend to also incorporate into my classroom!

    The big day is getting close!!

    ReplyDelete