Thursday, July 23, 2009

Post Trip Wrap Up

As I reflect this evening on our trip, I believe there were three important things I will take away from this experience. First, a better understanding of the placement of these events and what these places looked like and what these people went through. The whole "walk a mile in their shoes" kind of thing. I have gained a greater appreciation for how much work it was just to live let alone to communicate with the different colonies and create a unified front against a very formidable opponent. Second, a greater desire to learn more about everything in history so I can pass that information on to the next generation. I firmly believe that no matter whether you are a new immigrant or your family came to this country on the Mayflower, the culture and story of the US is the culture and story of us. Only by learning about our past can we avoid repeating the same mistakes and can we understand why we are as strong and powerful and sometimes pigheaded as we are today. We, ourselves and our students, want to be in this country for a reason and that reason is contained in our history. It is the history of US. Third, I am taking away from this experience a new desire to build and maintain friendships with fellow teachers. I have a lot to learn and the masters I got to share this seminar with taught me a lot and reminded me that I may teach history but I teach it to students who are excited to learn and it is my responsibility to fan that flame, not to douse it. Thank you all.
I'd be ungrateful if I didn't also take a moment to thank Mr. and Mrs. Larry H. Miller and all the other amazing people who made this experience possible. I keep calling it an experience because I can't think of a better word to describe it all. This seminar went far beyond learning to a exercise in friendshiping and self-discovery and many other activities and understandings. So, because I'm not very eloquent and I don't know a better way to express myself, I will keep it simple and say again, thank you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment