Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th

July 4th takes on a new meaning after this seminar. Having the opportunity to visit historical sites with those who love history changes prospective. I appreciate all the insights and knowledge that was shared. For me, Washington’s Crossing was a wonderful climax to the trip. I often tell my students, “History is about people, everyday people, who applied themselves at pivotal moments and changed the world because they were there.” I think this applies to all those that made this seminar possible. One cannot fathom the ripple effect these 9 days will have on students and families in Utah. The river Washington and his men had to cross on that fateful night was wide and fraught with danger. But they did it and changed the course of history. Today, we have many wide rivers to cross as we teach America’s youth. I wish you all the best as you make the journey into history more real and meaningful for all our students. Happy July 4th to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. In honor of Independence Day and the trip, I watched the first two sections of JOHN ADAMS. It was so much more impactful having been to Boston, the Adams' homes, and Independence Hall. When, at the end of the second section, they are reading the Declaration of Independence, I cried. I am not a crier as a rule, but with all the experiences of the trip, and book, and my love of this country, it just came. Thank you all for adding to my knowledge, my love of my country, and my cadre of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gang: As we returned from our trip, I packed right up and attended another workshop right away at Zion Park in Southern Utah. I just kept looking around for all of you and it seemed quite strange to not have you all around. Thank you for your friendship and help and patience during our, "Where's Bob" trip.

    I gave a presentation today about pod-casting at the Rural Schools Conference in Cedar City. This gave me a chance to go through a truck load of photos and renew some laughs and great times. Courage all you freedom fighters out there. Thank You again.

    Thank you for a LIFE ALTERING EXPERIENCE.

    If you're through Duchesne, please drop in. I'm the only Hoopes in the phone book and you can ask about anywhere in town and they'll know where to send you.

    Where's Bob........

    ReplyDelete