Thursday, July 23, 2009

New York

I've been to New York before. I've seen many of the places we went to on this trip but it was good for me to see them with a new purpose. Like Boston I very much enjoyed the day we spent walking, going at our own pace and setting our own goals for what we saw. Of course I loved that I got to Tiffany's, but I also developed a new love of Trinity Church. I must admit that the bus rides across the city to Prospect Park and back to Fort Washington were not as valuable to me as the time we spent getting there. As a suggestion for future trips, I would pick one or the other and not try to cross the city twice, especially in Monday morning traffic.
The one part of our trip to New York that should be given more time in the future was West Point. As a military historian, I thoroughly enjoyed those few hours. I could have spent days there. I must say a thank you to Gene and to our West Point guide. That was the highlight of the few days we got to spend in New York. The view from and stories of Fort Putnam and the chain across the Hudson will definitely become part of my classroom curriculum. I have not talked about any of these events in my class up to this point but I now feel I have done my students a disservice by not sharing these little stories with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment